Welcome to the August 2013 SLA Newsletter. We have had a very successful series of events so far this year in June and July so if you haven’t yet managed to attend there is still a packed programme to choose from:
- The Future of Convenience Retailing, Co-op Manchester, 3rd Sept 2013
The Co-op will be hosting this event at their splendid new HQ at 1 Angel Square, M60 0AG. We have over 40 attending so far but there is still space if anyone still wishes to attend.
This promises to be an excellent event; see https://thesla.org/2013/07/the-future-of-convenience-retailing-manchester-3rd-sep-2013/
- SLA Forum, CBRE Henrietta House, Friday 18th October (please note date change)
We are still in the process of recruiting speakers; those confirmed to date are:
- Bob Barr, Manchester Geomatics; Bob received rave reviews for his performance at the Royal Mail Pinpoint event last year. Bob will update us on Open Data, from his perspective on the ODUG committee.
- Andy Hudson-Smith, CASA; Andy performed to great acclaim five years ago, when he regaled us with neogeography and second life; this time he’ll talk about Smart Cities.
- Telefonica will update us on the progress of their ‘Smartsteps’ initiative, which they unveiled at last year’s Forum. This involves measuring footfall within catchments by presence of handsets in the vicinity.
- Public Sector Event, Birmingham City Council Offices, 12th November 2013
An excellent programme has been put together for this event, entitled Service Delivery Planning for the Public Sector. The programme runs from 10.00 for 10.30, through to 3.00 close.
For full programme, and to book, click https://thesla.org/2013/06/public-sector-event-12th-nov-2013/
- Jon Walker Award
We need your help ! So far, we have very few nominations for the 2013 Jon Walker Award for Innovation in Location Analysis. Please think about people you know in the business who have done something innovative (could be software, data, project, model) in the last year. Details of how to nominate are https://thesla.org/jon-walker-award/
- Job advertising
It’s the job advertising on our website which keeps the SLA running free of charge so a big thank you to those who have advertised with us. This year we’ve had 12 jobs advertised in total so far which is excellent and we know from regular feedback from clients and members that they work. If your company has a site location vacancy that needs filling get in touch. The price has remained unchanged now for some years and is a bargain at £495 for unlimited coverage, email to all members and inclusion on our LinkedIn page.
We are always interested in suggestions from SLA members – particularly for future possible topics or speakers. If you have anything to say, email us firstname.lastname@example.org