Every year the Society for Location Analysis awards a trophy in the memory of Jon Walker, who passed away on 22nd March 2010, after a long battle with cancer.
The first award took place in 2010 so this is will be the fifth Jon Walker Award.
Click here to see who has won the award in the past…
About Jon Walker…
(“It is with great sadness we announce that Jon Walker passed away on the evening of Monday 22nd March 2010. Jon had been fighting cancer for the last 15 months. Throughout that time he showed immense positive mental strength to all around him and this is testament to his attitude to life and his coming to terms with his condition. Jon was a founding member of the SLA when the idea was born in a conversation with Christine Reeves (Tesco) and Mark Teale (CBRE) over 6 years ago. He helped form its ideals, philosophy and was an active participant at the SLA meetings and social gatherings. Former colleagues and friends of Jon have been leaving memories of Jon at www.wendovergroup.blogspot.com.
Please visit the site and leave a message for Jon’s family. Jon is survived by his wife Corrine, his first wife Jill and their three boys William, Sam and Joe. Our thoughts are with them at this time. Missed but never forgotten.”)
Many SLA members will have met Jon, some will have worked with him, at GeoBusiness Solutions, MapInfo, or The Wendover Group.
Jon was very well regarded by all those who came into contact with him; he also played an instrumental role in setting up the SLA.
Make your nominations today
- The Jon Walker Award will be awarded annually by the Society for Location Analysis ( SLA ) for innovation in location analysis, which could be:
- an innovative project
- innovative use of data
- an innovative modeling solution;
- innovative software development
and which can be demonstrated to have had market impact.
- Deadline for entries will be noon on 30th May 2014
- Presentation of the Award will be made by Jon’s long-term colleague, Andy Thompson, at the Sainsbury’s event on 26th June 2014.
- Entries need to be made online. Click here to take survey or email your suggestions to email@example.com
- Judging will be by the SLA committee plus Andy Thompson, Sainsbury’s.
(Current committee members are :
Jonathan Reynolds, Academic Director, Oxford Institute of Retail Management
Steve Scholey, Scholey Space Ltd. / Hampshire Customer Insight Partnership
Peter Sleight, Partner, Target Market Consultancy
Jack Steenstra, location expert, now retired; formerly Santander UK
Mark Teale, Director – Head of Retail Research, CB Richard Ellis Ltd.)
Administration of the SLA – Ruth Holroyd, rh marketing.
- We would like to hear from SLA members recommending innovations which they have seen, and which they rate highly;
- The resultant candidates will then be ‘showcased’ on the SLA website, and members will then be asked to select their favourite. The candidate with the most votes wins.
- All entries must be nominated by an SLA member; SLA members wishing to submit their own work should seek nomination by another member.
Nominator must be independent, i.e. not simply a colleague or line manager.
- Examples could be:
(a) a client supporting a supplier’s piece of work
(b) a data provider supporting a client’s use of data
- The Award is open to all who work in the location analysis industry, but each entry must be nominated by a member of the SLA.
- The judges will wish to speak to each entrant, either in person or on the telephone (therefore entrants need to have availability during the period 2nd June 2014 – 21st June 2014 for this purpose )
- It is hoped that all entrants will be able to attend the Sainsbury’s event on 26th June 2014. Details will be supplied on request.
- Click here to nominate an innovation
If you have any questions about any of the above please contact us by email: firstname.lastname@example.org