We are committed to making a difference in our local communities.
Do you want to be part of a community and grow a career? At Southern Co-op we work hard because we want to do well and the more successful we are the more we can give back to our members and communities – that’s the beauty of a co-operative.
PURPOSE OF ROLE
We have an exciting opportunity for a Location Planner to join our property team. The role will undertake the appropriate assessment of all proposed new locations for Food, End of Life (to include Funeral Homes, Crematoria and Natural Burial Grounds), Cobra Coffee and our Franchise business, and where appropriate to include robust sales and margin forecasts.
To provide supporting information and data to the Property team enabling appropriate investment decisions to be made for trading sites new planning applications (e.g. Crematoriums and Natural Burial Grounds) and redevelopment/extension opportunities for all properties within the portfolio.
- Help maintain ELS, Food and Cobra Coffee network plans, taking account of changing consumer behaviours and expectations, whilst providing achievable targets for potential acquisition and financially viable opportunities for Southern Co-op.
- Develop sales and margin forecasts to enable robust investment recommendations and decisions for new sites, store redevelopment opportunities and store extensions, using both desk analysis and fieldwork.
- Maintain an up to date competitor monitoring report based on planning reports to inform the business of potential financial impacts.
- Prepare impact assessments of future competitor store openings to inform commercial and marketing decisions on nearby trading stores.
- Assess End of Life development opportunities including Funeral Homes, Crematoriums and Natural Burial Grounds whilst monitoring changes in this particular market as new consumer behaviours and competitors emerge.
- Assess potential locations for Cobra Coffee, using various formats derived from Starbucks Equity, and sales forecasts for new and replacement sites to enable robust and sustainable investment decisions to be made.
- Source current sales trend analysis to support last financial year EBITDA trend to better support repair and enhancement works costs for FM and Estates decision making on our existing portfolio as required.
- Work alongside all Property functions to deliver forecasts and supporting information to meet the timescales for individual Board CAPEX submissions.
- Assist in the definition of model location criteria for ELS, Food and Cobra Coffee along with the key drivers of store/location performance.
- Provide advice and support for the development of space and range strategies for the food business working with the Trading and Format and Marketing teams.
- Assist in the sourcing, maintenance and development of appropriate systems, information/data and analytical processes to support ELS, Food, Cobra Coffee and Property and across Southern Co-ops’ business as a whole.
- Deputise for the Networks and Location Planning Manager.
KEY EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Experience in a senior location planning role covering a number of commercial sectors, ideally to include ELS, Food, Coffee and Property.
- Ability to explain complex data set findings to a range of audiences and capable of presenting fully reasoned persuasive recommendations to Southern Co-op’s CE, FD and COOs.
- In depth knowledge of the food retail landscape across the UK and in particular within the Southern Co-op trading area to include population and demographic change, competing grocery operators and their development strategies and customer behaviour.
- Significant knowledge of the coffee shop market, including its structure by mainstream and independent operators, delivery formats and consumer behaviour.
- A pragmatic approach to combining data outputs with observation and experience to produce sound commercial judgments on site potential opportunities.
- Experience in the use of geo-demographic market analysis software e.g. ArcGis, InSIte, MicroMarketer.
- Able to apply a variety of modelling and forecasting techniques to explain and predict performance within the three primary businesses.
- A broad understanding of property market trends (to include retail, funeral, coffee, small office, industrial, trade counters and investment)
- Good geographical knowledge of the UK retail landscape generally and Southern Co-op’s target trading territory in particular.
If you’re passionate about location planning, and have a background in a fast-paced environment then we would love to hear from you. In return, we will offer a competitive salary and benefits package, as well as the opportunity to develop your skills and grow your career.
Location: Our staff are working remotely at the moment due to Covid-19 safety measures. When we can return to normal working practice our office is based at Lakeside, Portsmouth.