Our next event will take place on Wednesday 22nd September on Zoom, starting at 4pm and finishing at 5.30pm
As we begin to emerge from the pandemic, attention is focusing on some of the tensions that changing consumer buying behaviour and changing lifestyles are bringing about; and the ways in which business strategies are responding.
Nowhere more so can this be seen than in grocery buying behaviour. On the one hand, many consumers continue to want to seek value for money and convenience (expressed through the growth in online buying over the past 18 months); on the other hand, a growing awareness of and in some cases direct experience of climate change are focusing the attention of increasing numbers of shoppers on the environmental impact of their spending behaviour. There are naturally geolocational implications for the ways in which these tensions could resolve. At this event, we will review some of the evidence at the European level (including the UK) for changing grocery shopping behaviour, and examine a case study of a retail business model which seeks to be both convenient and sustainable.
We will begin the session promptly at 4pm and hope to finish by 5.30pm.
- 4:00 – Introduction – Jonathan Reynolds, Chairman, SLA
- 4:10 – Disruption & Uncertainty – The State of Grocery Retail 2021, Jean-Albert Nyssens, Chief Economist of Eurocommerce. Jean-Albert will review the implications of recent research commissioned from McKinsey on the prospects for the online, value and lifestyle agendas of European grocery shoppers.
- 4:40 – The UK’s only nationwide on demand grocery delivery – Paul Gott, Chief Operating Officer of Beelivery. Paul will share with us Beelivery’s experience in redefining online grocery delivery “with the novel concept of making a profit”. Unlike its rivals, Beelivery has no shops, no warehouses and no partnered outlets, just delivery drivers who pick customer orders from whichever local store or supermarket is best placed to fulfil them.
- 5:10 – Q&A
- 5:30 – Wrap up and close
If you have any questions please email email@example.com
EuroCommerce is the principal European organisation representing the retail and wholesale sector in Europe. It embraces national associations in 28 countries and 5 million companies, both leading global players such as Carrefour, Ikea, Metro and Tesco, and many small businesses. EuroCommerce is the recognised European social partner for the retail and wholesale sector.
At EuroCommerce J-A works on strategic projects and provides economic and business guidance to ensure effective policy advocacy. In that capacity, he also leads the economist network with member associations and the collaboration with external consultancies and data providers.
Prior to joining EuroCommerce, J-A was a Partner with McKinsey, and later EY, where he served retailers and FMCG across Europe. He is a board member in investment funds and a private investor in tech start-ups.
J-A is trained in business administration from Brussels Free University, MPhil in Economics from Cambridge and MPA from Harvard.
Contact Jean-Albert on LinkedIn
Chief Operating Officer
Paul joined Beelivery as employee #4 in April 2020 following a 35-year career running global mechanical engineering businesses. Beelivery is one of the UK’s fastest growing tech businesses employing over 100 people with a plan to be employing 150 by Christmas. Beelivery is the only ‘on-demand’ UK grocery delivery service to deliver 24x7x365, nationwide, with an average delivery time of 45 minutes from receipt of order ! Beelivery’s development teams manage the entire project life-cycle from concept definition and development through to operational implementation. We are developing transformational growth initiatives, including autonomous delivery systems, using AI and ML and excel at solving unstructured problems, rooted in using data and experimentation to drive effective decisions
Contact Paul on LinkedIn
Presentations, downloads and recording
“This content is password-protected. Please verify with a password to unlock the content. Note: The page will reload once you click Submit.”
Thanks to our speakers for yet another fascinating exploration into the future of convenience vs sustainability.
We recorded the first half of the session including Jean-Albert’s presentation. We did not record Paul Gott’s presentation due to sensitive content.
You can download pdfs of the speaker presentations here:
- Download Disruption & Uncertainty – The State of Grocery Retail 2021 by Jean-Albert Nyssens, Eurocommerce
- Download The UK’s only nationwide on demand grocery delivery by Paul Gott, Beelivery
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org